Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A beautiful hymn to fight the legalist within

Lately, I have come to understand once again what a HUGE struggle I have with legalism. It occurs most often when I hesitate to come to God in prayer because I have fallen short of God's commandments. I had to repent this past Lord's day for insulting the cross by thinking lowly of the work of Jesus Christ on the cross; I forgot AGAIN that it is always by grace that I come to God in prayer. This hymn moved me to tears last night as I thought, "Was not Christ's work enough?" I imagined all that Jesus suffered in the garden and on the cross and cried as I thought that Christ has secured our way to God not only to salvation but also to bold prayer. I LOVE THIS HYMN!

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy, Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you, Full of pity, love and power.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome, God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance, Every grace that brings you nigh.

Come, ye weary, heavy laden, Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better, You will never come at all.

View Him prostrate in the garden; On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him; Sinner, will this not suffice?


Let not conscience make you linger, Not of fitness fondly dream;
the fitness He requireth is to feel your need of Him.

Lo! the incarnate God ascended, Plead the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly, Let no other trust intrude.

I will arise and go to Jesus, He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Savior, O there are ten thousand charms.
- Jo­seph Hart 1759

No comments: