Thursday, September 06, 2007

Favorite Photos of Japan

I was given a scanner so I'm using it to scan old photos from Japan. I lived there from 2001-2003 and am looking forward to going back sometime in the Spring. I won't be in the same city, though. Instead of Sendai, I will be in Nagoya. These photos were taken at a photo booth called "Print Club." They say Pu-ri-ku-ra for short. It's really fun! This is a photo of my host mom and her son. Here are more of my favorite photos:





This photo was what I saw every week when I left the class. The kids and moms saw me to the door and formally said good bye to me every week for two years! In the third pic the kids are wearing summer kimonos. They wear them to watch fireworks or to go to a local festival. They are so cute, aren't they?
I met Osaomi (bottom left) and Taka (bottom right) in Japanese class. The three of us were born in the same hospital in El Salvador! But God brought us together in Japan. The girl is dear Christina, now living in South Korea. The guy in the middle is Osa and Taka's brother, Takeshi.

I went to a shrine New Year's 2002. It is located in Niigata, Japan where my friend Chiemi lives.




This giant statue is a "goddess of mercy." I didn't like it very much, and I don't think many people in Sendai enjoyed having it in the city.









This is a "god shelf." I am not sure of its purpose, to be honest.






This is a family Buddhist altar to honor relatives that have passed away. It is called a Butsudan in Japanese.




1 comment:

Diane Dehler said...

Hi, I noticed in your profile that you like the music of George Winston. I had the pleasure of meeting him once and obtained an autograph from him. He is a very modest, warm and sweet man.